Trabant


Trabant
Originally uploaded by Roostar
Over at my parents' house today my daughter spotted this toy car and it seemed to delight her.

I bought this while over in Berlin twenty years ago. I was there watching and helping to bring the wall down. A friend later berated me for having a little chunk of wall on my bookshelf, telling me I had no idea where it came from. I was able to point out that I knew exactly where it had come from as I'd been one of the people chiseling away at it and shaking hands with a border guard on the other side. It was a momentous time, although I have a strong memory of sitting with people in a cafe and listening to the locals complain that their jobs would all be gone when the people from the East came over.

I bought about four of these cars, giving them to friends on my return. This one now belongs to Freya.

Comments

Popular Posts