More trio news

3rd October 2012 by WJCruttenden
3rd October 2012, a photo by WJCruttenden on Flickr.

Last night I rehearsed with the piano/guitar/bass trio and we played our way through tonight’s set list. For the first time in a while I found myself playing through a set with too many songs.
This promises to be an interesting set. Original songs that are due to appear on the slowly forming album are going to be played alongside covers. A quick tally revealed we’re playing country, jazz, folk, blues, soul rock (and roll) songs, all morphed through the sound of the trio. One song, Al Green’s ‘Take Me to the River’, is a favourite of mine but I’ve only ever played it with an eight piece soul band before. It’s a wonderful thing to hear a song so stripped back but still working.
The toughest thing for me last night was fixing a bass line which (it turns out) I’ve been playing wrongly for about six years. The notes are controlled more by muscle memory than conscious thought, so changing it was surprisingly hard. Whether I’ll play the old, wrong version or the new correct version tonight is still unsure.

Comments

Popular Posts