Pomes

I like poetry. I like poetry for almost the same reasons that I like photography. You can see something, seemingly simple and if it's any good, you can come back to it and stare into it, finding new levels of depth and new possibilities.

There are plenty of bad things connected with poetry too. Badly written poems, poems as therapy, the teaching of a poem's 'meaning' and the general culture of seeing poetry as something for an elite.

For a few years I've been aware of the Poetry Foundation in the States and their magazine. I listen to the editor's podcast every month and, for my 50th this year I treated myself to a subscription. Yesterday my first edition arrived and I've been enjoying it like you might enjoy a good bottle of whiskey. A little bit at a time, savouring what's on offer. I highly recommend it.

Comments

Popular Posts