Security Project

I have an odd relationship with covers bands. I’ve been in a few and mostly enjoyed the response of an audience that are getting something familiar. However, a covers band that doesn’t either do something original with the songs, or play with feeling, is a lost cause.
So, imagine my surprise when one of the most original and interesting musicians on the planet joined a covers band. Trey Gunn, touch guitarist, ex-King Crimson, member of so many fascinating and genre defying bands that I love (KTU, for example) was the person in question. The band, Security Project, play the early solo music of Peter Gabriel. I listened to them and didn’t like it. The singer sounded so much like Gabriel that it felt, at first, like an impression.

But, having followed Trey’s work for so long and trusting his instinct I went back and listened with fresh ears. Then I got it. Brian Cummins, the singer, did sound like Gabriel but he also had his own style. The band, who are impeccable musicians, did something similar. Honouring the originals but bringing a freshness to the arrangements that allowed me to enjoy these versions and drive me back to Peter Gabriel’s for comparison. This whole experience was based on the two teaser tracks from Security Project’s Live 1 album. When the full album came out it stayed on heavy rotation.


Even if you have no connection with the original albums and don’t know a Warr Guitar from a tennis racquet, I’d recommend a listen.

Comments

Popular Posts